This is your regularly scheduled reminder that Monstress is has some of the best world-building and most beautiful art in comics.
- Maika wrestles with who she wants to be—and what her mother wanted her to be.
- Figuring that out means coming to terms with her mother’s history and how she came to have her dark passenger.
- Turns out, that means a trip to an ghost-ridden island built from the bones of a dead god.
- Liu’s world-building, prophecy, and character work form a complicated but rewarding narrative—the kind of book that you re-read after its finished so you can see how all the parts fit together.
- Takeda’s art is stunning—some of the most gorgeous pages in comics.
- I love the tension that comes from seeing such a cruel, unforgiving world drawn so beautifully.
If you’re not reading Monstress, you’re missing out on one of the most intricately crafted comics coming out.
- Monstress, Vol. 2: The Blood (#7-12)
Writer: Marjorie Liu | Artist: Sana Takeda | Letterer/Designer: Rus Wooton | Editor: Jennifer M. Smith | Editorial Assistant: Ceri Riley