It’s time to go back into The Woods!
- This volume spends its time with the kids who have ventured out of the school.
- James Tynion IV weaves together two timelines to delve into characters’ histories with one another and to show how their pasts affect the choices they make in the present.
- In the present, they deal with natives of various stripes.
- In the past, we see the same night a year ago from each character’s point of view.
- That night establishes a sense of history and how characters’ relationships have changed.
- Those changes are this book’s lifeblood: Tynion clearly knows where those relationships have been and are going.
- Michael Dialynas and Josan Gonzalez’s art continues to excel at conveying emotion and reaction; and their designs for the woods dance between beautifully alien and terrifying.
I like this book. A lot. If it weren’t for Clearing the Backlog, I’d binge the whole thing. You should give it a try.
- The Woods, Vol. 2: The Swarm (#5-8)
Writer: James Tynion IV | Artist: Michael Dialynas | Colorist: Josan Gonzalez | Letterer: Ed Dukeshire | Designer: Scott Newman | Associate Editor: Jasmine Amiri | Editor: Eric Harburn